What you need (serves 2 or 4 canapés)
- 1 block halloumi cheese
- Oil for deep frying
- Bunch of fresh mint
- Seeds from 1/2 Pomegranate
- 1tbp crushed dried red chilli
- Pomegranate Molasses, as required for drizzling OR
- 1tbsp harissa paste AND
- 6 tbsp garlic mayonnaise (set aside half for the harissa mayonnaise dressing)
- First cut the halloumi block to size, approx. 5mm thickness;
- Tip – don’t cut the halloumi too thick as deep frying causes the halloumi to expand nor cut the halloumi too thin as frying will cause it to be too crispy with no soft centre.
- Deep fry on high heat for approx. 30seconds or until golden on the outside;
- Tip – Frying on high heat for 30seconds, gives the halloumi a golden brown exterior, whilst the centre remains soft.
- To make the harissa mayonnaise, take 1tbsp of harissa paste and mix with 3tbsp of garlic mayonnaise (good quality brand). Add more harissa paste or garlic mayonnaise as per your preference. Set aside the remaining 3tbsp of garlic mayonnaise for dressing.
- Serve the halloumi fries with chopped fresh mint, pomegrate seeds and crushed red chilli flakes.
- Drizzle with pomegranate molasses And garlic mayonnaise OR
- Drizzle with the harissa mayonnaise and garlic mayonnaise.