Kick –starting our Middle Eastern inspired Ramadan recipe series with this Harissa Rack of Lamb with Vermicelli rice.
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 500g Rack of Lamb
- 2 cup Rice (preferably basmati rice)
- ½ cup Broken vermicelli pasta
- 2- 2 ½ cup chicken stock
- 3tb Butter
- 3tb Harissa paste
- 1tb Natural yoghurt
- Salt and Pepper, as required
- 1 Lemon, set aside 1/4 for garnishing
- ¼ Cucumber, cubed
- ½ Red onion, cubed
- Bunch of fresh parsley
- Handful of chopped pistachio
Preparing the Lamb:
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees
- To make the marinade for the lamb, mix the harissa paste with yoghurt.
- Next season with salt and pepper.
- Squeeze 1/4 lemon juice and mix all of the ingredients
- Marinade the rack of lamb, preferably overnight.
- Set aside in the fridge for 24hrs.
- When you are ready to cook the lamb, remove from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature before cooking.
- Sear the lamb on both sides over high heat on a grill/skillet
- Next, place in the oven and cook for approx. 15mins (rare), 20mins (medium rare), 25mins (medium), 30mins (well-done)
- Let is rest for 2mins before carving
Preparing the vermicelli rice
- In a skillet melt 2tb of butter
- Next add the vermicelli pasta and cook until the vermicelli has browned. Stir continuously to avoid the vermicelli from burning
- Take you rice and thoroughly rinse in water to remove all starch
- Once washed, mix the rice with the vermicelli past.
- Next pour the chicken stock. Add extra hot water if required
- Shimmer on medium heat until the rice has cooked.
- Once the rice has cooked, add the remaining 1tb of butter and stir using a fork.
- Plate up the rack of lamb over the vermicelli rice and garnish with cucumber, parsley, pistachio and red onions
- Finish off with a squeeze of lemon